Sunday, July 09, 2006

Painting the picnic table


I finally got this project started. I’ve wanted to do this for a long time. There are still a few holes to chink, some touch- up spots, and the underside to coat. This old table is cypress; my Dad built it when I was very young. He was particularly proud of one of the top planks; it measures 18.5 inches wide. I must say it impresses me, too; it had to come from a big tree. This old table has a colorful history. Covered with a blanket, it has fended off Indians and outlaws and various invading hordes. It has trekked to moons and planets, and the far reaches of space. With a broomstick- mast and a sheet- sail, it has hauled cargo from exotic ports and clashed with pirates across the seven seas. It’s also been a marvelous diving platform, anchored above sunken treasure- galleons. I think I should try to keep it another half- century

No comments: