Friday, May 04, 2007

Need more hiking!

I went to the monthly meeting of the Louisiana Hiking Club; they meet the first Thursdays at the Bluebonnet Library. Here’s a link to their homepage. Although I have been interested in this group for years, their meeting times conflicted with my work schedule... now they conflict with my play schedule. There are a variety of interests there: dayhikers, casual strollers, backpackers, even some long- trail hikers. The club has some organized hikes and backpacking, but a lot of small groups link up for various outings. Maybe they'll encourage me to keep strengthening; building some hiking muscle has been helping my busted hip, I think… that extra muscle seems to stabilize it. The hiking club meeting was interesting; a presentation on the John Muir Trail, by a guy from the Lafayette shop, Pack & Paddle. The group will have a dayhike to St. Catherine's Creek in July... I need to go for that. My 5th- great- grandfather, Christian Bingaman, had a Spanish land grant near Natchez, and I think it was on St. Catherine’s Creek.

No comments: