Saturday, December 01, 2007

Just imagine: me, a birdwatcher!

Well, I had fun in the Bluebonnet Swamp this morning. They hold a semi- organized event on the first Saturday of the month, a birding walk led by a member of the staff. I had to be at work by 10 am and the birdwatching group started out at 7am. It was a win, win situation: travel- time and gas- costs were free; my park membership got me in for free. The group was small and knowledgeable (except me). There were lots of birds, and they were busy feeding, hopping around, singing. I’m familiar with most of our birds and can connect sounds to many, but I don’t know their names. Those folks did, and it was very enlightening. They also were interested in shrubs and trees, chatting about leaf shapes, berries, and such. I hope to play this game often, when my schedule allows. I dug out some binoculars and now I may need a field guide, maybe a cute pith- helmet. It was very nice visiting the park in the morning; it was cool and the light quality was nice. I’m usually there midday or afternoon and the critters are hiding. I took a picture of some mistletoe; I was amazed to see it in a low bush. That stuff is usually high in an oak tree and I have to do some first- class shooting with a .22 to cut a sprig for hanging at Christmas. We spotted a ‘coon peeking from a high tree- cavity. I made some squeaks, sucking the back of my hand, and that piqued his interest; gave us a better view.

No comments: