Sunday, June 25, 2006

Romance was in the air (and I saw it fall to earth)

I made a pleasant overnight trip to the woods. It’s worth it just to watch the lightning bugs; they were busy doing their lightning- bug things Saturday night. I saw one flash out in the clearing. Another double- flashed nearby, and it must have been a provocative reply: suddenly there was a spot of constant light that fell straight down to the ground and disappeared. Ain’t love grand!

The creek was low, the fish waiting for some morsel to float by. Fewer spiders are scattered on the trails, but they are getting larger. There was a squirrel visiting my pear tree. The pears are still green and he was knocking down a lot more fruit than he was eating. I may have to make jambalaya. I had a pleasant walk up the creek, watched a few birds and squirrels go about their business. I saw some more of those disturbed areas on the creek bank. I wondered whether it might be a hog’s rooting, but the sand doesn’t hold the tracks well… deer tracks were all over the place and they can be hard to differentiate. Maybe next trip I will find some fresh sign.

No comments: