Thursday, December 07, 2006

A cold night is coming!


I found some fresh rubs on the creek trail, where Hickory Ridge begins; hunting there this afternoon, the wind was gusting constantly, bringing in a mighty cold blast of air soon. No critters out; the birds and squirrels must be hunkered down. Most of the leaves are on the ground now; it’s like walking on cornflakes. As the sun set, it was still windy and the temperature was dropping. It was 40 degrees inside, when I shucked my pack in the cabin. My double- mantle lantern broke the chill and nudged the temperature up to 50, but it was still dropping outside. I forgot to bring my warm mummy- bag; at bedtime I donned long- johns, watch cap and socks and crawled into my old rectangular sleeping bag. That bag is getting pretty thin in spots, but it is roomy and comfortable and is just the right weight most of the year. I’m sentimental about the old fart- sack; I ordered it from Herter’s about 40 years ago. That was the first I had heard of Polar-Guard insulation and, like all of Herter’s products it was described as the best and biggest and “finest procurable”. I must admit that I still use it often, and it has been with me from Gulf sands to above timber- line and everywhere in- between.

No comments: