Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Bluebonnet swamp


Now that I am working only part- time, I am trying to take advantage of this opportunity to play. The Bluebonnet Swamp area is adjacent to my workplace and, lately, I have been making time to visit. It’s a pretty area, a little patch of wetland, tucked into Baton Rouge’s urban sprawl. I could see it out the window, but their hours always clashed with my work schedule. I’ve been trying to spend some time there, for a long while. The trails are easy to walk, so one can meander though the varied habitats without getting dirty, scratched, or bug- bitten (I suspect that there can be mosquito problems at times, though). Boardwalks keep you out of the water and Gumbo- mud. The Bluebonnet Swamp is somewhat civilized for my tastes, and highway noise is always present. On the other hand, it provides a convenient getaway, and can serve up a quick outdoors “fix” to tide me over until I can get a better reprieve from the city. I’m glad someone managed to preserve this small wilderness before the construction boom gobbled it up, too. Voters renewed the tax last week, to continue development of the local parks and there are other ones I want to visit. Descriptions of this nature preserve and the other facilities are given on the BREC website. They have lots of interesting ambitions, to improve recreational opportunities in the Baton Rouge area. An improvement I have been particularly interested in is rejuvenation of the lakes around LSU and City Park. That project could yield a wonderful sport- fishery, smack dab in the heart of the city.

No comments: