Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The days of melted GORP


Summer is coming to the hills and bayous; it becomes obvious when chocolate chips in your pack begin fusing the peanuts and raisins into amorphous globs. Such was the case yesterday. I ate my ramen and, wanting something more, pulled out my GORP jar. It was a total melt- down! First time I ever ate my GORP with a spoon; haven’t changed over to a summer formulation, yet. It was a hot session of grass- mowing and I went through a lot more water than I would have expected. When darkness came it was still too hot in the cabin, so I strung up my hammock to sleep outside. I have never camped much in a hammock, but have carried one many times on summer day trips and work sessions. Hammocks are great to rest and cool off during the midday heat. They are light weight, pack small, and are easy to set up. Hammock- camping has become quite popular among backpackers; there are some benefits and some trade- offs to weigh against tent- camping. Among those comparisons, hammocks are cool: much more comfortable than that hot, stuffy cabin. But during the night, the temperature dropped and the humidity increased, and I kicked and scratched for cover the rest of the night… the small- sized foam pad was convenient for packing and my little blanket was lightweight, but I just did not have enough insulation… I guess it’s not really summer, yet.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Gorp with a spoon sounds delicious!