Saturday, January 19, 2008

And it snowed!

It rained all night, never very hard, but the ground was mighty wet, with puddles standing. The creek was too high to cross for hunting and drizzle was still coming down, so I didn’t get out. I just lazed around the cabin, made another cup of coffee, and watched the birds hopping around, grateful for the seeds I had left them. I built up the fire and was enjoying being stuck in the cabin. And it started snowing! What a treat! But it was too warm for it to stick. First it was just spitting little flakes mixed with rain and sleet. Then it turned to big, fluffy flakes, and a constant fall of them. There was a little snow accumulated on the old picnic table… I remember some long- ago times, only a very few times, that we made snow ice- cream and threw some snowballs from that surface. I had great wishes for a tracking snow, but knew it couldn’t be. Even the slight dusting that accumulated around protected edges melted quickly. Nevertheless, it was pretty to watch the big flakes flutter down, and me all snug by the fire, peeking out the cabin window.

No comments: