Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Seasons are changing again




Well, it’s a bitter- sweet time for me when the seasons change. On my calendar, the transition is observed as being from hunting season to fishing season. I saw my first trillium of the year; they’ll soon be peeking out all over the hills. Trillium is the harbinger of spring that really speaks out to me… a pretty splash of green against the drab leaf- litter. Even this armadillo was out scrounging for some lunch. Maybe our recent warm days interfered with hibernation; I dunno. Monday morning temperature was 34 at my cabin door, and it rose to a very pleasant 65 by the afternoon. I finally got around to replacing my broken thermometer; it’s kinda fun to know the temperature, although that knowledge doesn’t amount to much in the grand scheme of things. I seem to have the woods back to myself, now, It looks like I’ll get in one more bow- hunt on Thursday; the last day of the season. Then I’ve got to get on with some cleanup and repairs and get some timber thinning done before the bugs and hot weather get here.

No comments: