Sunday, May 31, 2009

Bike to Work


Well, it was down to the wire, today. But I rode my bike to work before May ended, National Bike Month. Official bike to Work day was May 15, so I’m only a little late. And I was celebrating my birthday, too… only a little late. Traffic was less and there were fewer crazies on Sunday, so it was a good choice. I was riding the paved shoulders and bike paths most of the way, to keep me out of the fast traffic… and those surfaces were rough riding in some places. Mapmyride.com calculated my plotted route out to 11.41 miles, one way. The trip took 55 minutes, and I didn’t overheat or play out. Only stopped once, when I was bouncing too much to drink from my water bottle. That 55 minute trip time is about twice what my drive takes, and about half what a bus ride takes. But I don’t know how often I would want to bike that trip. Early morning and late evening would be more pleasant peddling on that route. Back at the house, I was ready for supper. Two hours later and I still have the munchies.

No comments: