Friday, July 06, 2007

First Thursday

After the daily monsoon, I got away for a quick Tramp through the Bluebonnet Swamp trails. The rain left it very cool and the air was washed clean. Not many critters moving, but the flora looked fresh and sparkly. While I was there, the director helped me with some map questions about BREC facilities. I am on a determined search to find a variety of convenient fishing spots.

Thursday night’s meeting of the hiking club included an interesting discussion of gear; and I was especially pleased that Little Sister joined me for the meeting. She seemed genuinely enthused and observed that “those people are really serious about hiking”. Little Sister is emphatic that she is a day hiker and “not going to sleep in the woods”.

And I won a door prize, a fine pair of Smartwool hiking socks. I had been admiring those in the catalogs and they get good reviews, but I never could justify the expense to test- drive a pair. Up- close and personal, they look really good. I’m washing them right now, and will try them this weekend.

No comments: