Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Nature Deficit Disorder


I have always suffered from this malady, knew the symptoms, and knew what was needed to cope with it. However, until I saw the term in Backpacker Magazine, I did not know it had a name and was not aware that fellow- sufferers were out there. Although I have more free time nowadays, work and domestic demands continue to keep it cut up into awkward chunks. Frustrated by inefficiencies of time use and today’s high cost of rambling, I have been seeking outdoor opportunities that are nearby, convenient, and cost- efficient in terms of time use and travel expense. I have found some interesting hiking options in the local parks; those are much more to my liking than pounding streets or sidewalks, and I would stay in bed rather than go to a shopping mall. Along these lines, I have been pondering and researching local park options for fishing spots. Today’s cross- town trip was to the Blackwater Conservation Area, and I was very pleased to find such a lovely park site. This is a reclamation project by the Corps of Engineers and managed by BREC, of former gravel pits located along the Comite River, and the site is dedicated to casualties of the September 11th attack. There are lakes, river access, gravel- paved trails, and woods. I saw bunnies and birds and not- too- many people. Bank- fishing was difficult, with willows and brush along the shores and water- weeds extending out into the shallows. I only managed to catch a few small brim, but there were bass swirling and I saw some larger brim. I’m going back soon, with my canoe to access better spots and at a better time of day. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

budforester said...

For the sake of proper credit, that "nature- deficit disorder" terminology originated from Richard Louv's 2006 book, Last Child in the Woods