Sunday, July 29, 2007

You never know what’s lurking in the swamp


This guy is a white ibis, and I had never seen a wild one this close. I was able to confirm my identification with a picture they had at the swamp's nature center. I also saw a green heron, a few songbirds, and a broad head skink (those guys get pretty big). I visited the swamp today, on my way to work. I usually get to see some critters on Sundays… they open at noon, so I get to the trails before other visitors have frightened the wildlife. Weekdays, in the summer, there is youth programming… day camps. By the time I get there, in the afternoon, the animals have usually had all the excitement they can stand and are in hiding. The swamp will host a couple of night hikes next month, and I think I might like to join them if time permits.

No comments: