Monday, March 10, 2008

Fishing report


My boy went with me and we rolled into the campground with some daylight still left. I was able to stretch my trotline before dark, but had to cut out snags and tangles that were in the line. I’d repair that when I got back to town, but not now. Some of my buddies camped there, too. They cooked up a big pot of Crawfish Etouffe on Saturday night. Oh- boy, was it good! I hadn’t had crawfish in a year or more. I checked the line twice Saturday night and picked it up Sunday morning. We only caught four catfish and didn’t have time for flyfishing, but that large helping of crawfish, alone, was worth the trip. It was cold and damp during the night, and hard to get moving Sunday morning. My boy had some condensation issues with his tent… need to ventilate better in cold weather. His gear was soggy, as was his mood. There was mist on the water and sunlight in the budding trees, but my camera was too cold to take pictures. I tried warming the camera in a pocket, but had to change batteries to make it function. Lots of birds Sunday morning! Egrets, herons, gros- bec were flying and squawking. Redbirds were fluttering around. Redwing blackbirds were in the bushes (tic… tic… crrrrick). Wood ducks were whistling and landing on the bayou. The crow was arguing (unh- uh).
Back in town, I had plenty of time to get to work; I visited Bluebonnet Swamp on my way. Spring has definitely sprung over there and is days ahead of the Atchafalaya area. I was amazed at how much the flush of leaves and buds and blooms had come out in the Bluebonnet Swamp… it had only been four days since my last visit. Even their mayapples were starting to bloom (I learned that those had, as I suspected, been transplanted to that location).

No comments: