Sunday, April 02, 2006

Atchafalaya explorations


I went back to Bay Begnard... just had to have a look at that cut into Bayou Loin. I believe that this picture is the connecting water. Notice the "gate guardian" perched on that snag. I didn't remember that blue herons were so brightly colored... guess it's their breeding plumage. I saw lots of them! The garfish were making huge splashes all around me, mostly under bushes and limbs. They must be spawning, too. I saw a few small sacks of eggs attached to underwater sticks, but not the large balls of them... different species, perhaps. I was excited to locate that cut, but it was choked with a mass of grass that I couldn't get through; exotic species are the bane of the Basin. There was a likely- looking campsite right at the juncture; I must check the maps, but I think it may be OK to camp there.

Nobody was catching fish; there were lots of people partying and boat- riding... even back in my "secret" spots. The gusty wind was really troublesome, although I even took extra gear along for ballast. I gave up the idea of spending the night and came on back to town. The Interstate was a parking lot again, stretching west of the river... same as last trip... maybe that's a pattern and my forays should be eastward or south. I had sworn off fishing the Basin on weekends, but make exceptions because I need the fish. I'm glad to have Daylight Savings Time back; now I can launch some weekday ventures. All things considered, it was an interesting trip, if not very productive.

No comments: