Sunday, April 16, 2006

Happy Easter, everybody

I had a pleasant visit to City Park Lake this morning; slipped over there early for a few casts. I put a new fly line on my reel yesterday and just had to try it out. I had won the new line in a raffle at the flyfishing conclave and it's a fancy one. I never would have bought such an extravagance for myself and it turned out to be very satisfactory. My Dad liked double- tapered fly lines, but I never cared for the ones I tried and was skeptical about this one. It is a double- taper, super- premium, high- floating, teflon- impregnated, 7- weight wiz- bang, high- price job. Well, it handles nicely, floats plenty high, it's limp and lays out straight; those are particular areas that my previous trials fell short. This line is a little heavy in the belly, but that loads my little fast- tip rod well, and seems to add a bit of wind- bucking punch, so I'll make up my mind to like that heavy feel. There in my City Park new- product- testing laboratory, I found good performance with several sizes of flies, wet and dry. I even gave the line a stretch- test on a nice little bass, about a two- pounder.

Took my boy to Butte La Rose yesterday and we caught nothing. Nobody else was catching fish either, and I hear the same from other locations. A few fish hit our flies, but they were very small. Seems the bigger fish are not moving into the shallows and edge structure... I don't know!

No comments: