Sunday, October 29, 2006

Back home in the woods

It was late when I got back to camp on Sunday... near midnight. I woke to a beautiful Monday morning, cool, clear, still. Alexandria weather had it as thirty- seven degrees… geography determines what radio stations you listen to in the Tunica Hills. A buck worked the scrape last night, at the far end of the field. Interesting that a scrape turns up at that exact spot every year. I couldn’t make out a distinct track for size; rubbings nearby were on small saplings, but he really tore them up. It has taken most of a month, but I am finally learning to walk in the woods with these glasses. I had a little trouble with them fogging, so I guess there is a learning curve in dealing with that aspect, also. I found several fresh tracks and droppings of various size under my pecan tree. I’m glad to share the pecans; guess I should fertilize and clear around some more pecan trees.

Headed to the field again in the afternoon and was late getting there, about 4:15, or so. There was a big deer in the clearing, far off, but I think it was a doe. She was pretty, still in her red- colored summer coat. She saw me and ducked into the woods. The sun set about 5:30 and it quickly got dark in the creek- bottom. I heard, but couldn’t see a deer moving in there. When I left my stand, a deer hopped out of the field, between me and the camp; that other one had never come back out.

No comments: