Sunday, October 08, 2006

I wound the week up with a flourish

I had to go back to town after this morning’s hunt, so I knew I must make the best of it. I set up beside a tree in that flat between Hickory Ridge and the creek. The weather was warmer and damper this morning. There was more dew, and the leaves under foot were not as crunchy as they had been. I was daydreaming about how well my new glasses were performing in the field, when I saw movement in the distance. These things really help with picking out detail and avoiding eyestrain. I eased up to and got my bow into shooting position, The deer had materialized by this time, a good – sized, mature doe. I would take this one with no qualms. This was a textbook example; it all came together perfectly. I sighted the deer from a distance, and it never saw me. She came in to about 20 yards, perfect range, and stopped broadside. I came to full draw, aimed, and released a perfect shot. Somewhere between me and the deer, however, there was a vine that I hadn’t seen. The arrow struck it with a loud THWACK! The deer reared back her head, her eyes wide, and she bounded away, leaving a shadowy likeness to dissipate where she had been standing [just like in the cartoons]. I walked the arrow’s path and picked it up, lying on the ground. One blade showed obvious evidence of the vine’s impact. Thankful that I hadn’t had a long and difficult search to account for that arrow, I stowed it in my quiver and headed back to break camp. Some of my most cherished memories are the ones that got away, and this will be one of those. It all came together just right. What if that vine….

Well, I missed. A vine deflected my arrow. [original post by: Cingular Wireless Messaging
http://www.CingularMe.COM/]

No comments: