Saturday, October 07, 2006

What a glorious morning!

It was cool and still, with blue skies and sunshine. I ambled along Panther Creek to the far corner of the place and saw some scattered deer tracks; only one spot seemed to be a regularly- used trail. I filled my canteen and dropped in one of those chlorine tablets (for more on those, link to CampDaddy’s Page). I drank from that little creek for years, but I fear it is no longer pristine. There is now public access through the Wildlife Management Area, and I sometimes find bits of litter in it.

Seeing lots of squirrels, real close. I was very nervous about the one that was on the opposite side of the tree from me. He was purring just like a cat, but it didn't sound very friendly. Turkeys came feeding along Panther Creek andwalked all around me. Perhaps these were part of that flock I previously saw crossing the big creek. Have only seen 2 deer, my supposed quarry.

At that far, back corner of the place there is a hairpin bend in Panther Creek, around a little finger ridge. That is a spot I have always wanted to camp. It is flat on top, and is surrounded by steep inclines on three sides, down to the creek bed. I sat long, enjoying it there with the birds singing and the breeze sighing in the trees. I wished I had remembered my GORP, it was too early for lunch and I needed a snack.

Since I hadn’t found specific feeding areas, I would try to hunt along paths to water. Hiking to my afternoon stand with that in mind, I heard a deer move out ahead of me… maybe things were getting better. After what seemed a very long wait, I heard a slight rattle of leaves and watched a deer come up the ridge from the creek… maybe this idea of hunting the watering areas was the ticket! It was a doe, about a yearling- size, I’d guess. The wind was in my favor; I had planned it that way. After a full week in the woods, with poor luck in just seeing deer, maybe I shouldn’t be choosy; I’d try a shot. She was browsing along, nipping here and there at some low- growing green leaves. I had to turn and get into shooting form, with only rare instances when her vision was blocked. I was fearful she might hear my heart pounding! I began drawing the bow when she was approaching a clear spot. She was in range, less than 20 yards. The shot angle was right. Before I reached full draw, my elbow hit the tree trunk I was hunkered against. I must have made some small sound or movement that she detected, because she made one quick hop over the side of the ridge and the opportunity was gone. About 30 seconds later (it seemed a lot longer) she stood out of sight and snorted repeatedly, as if laughing at me. [original post: Cingular Wireless Messaging http://www.CingularMe.COM/]

No comments: