Monday, October 30, 2006

It feels like Autumn

I slept in Monday morning. It was cold and pretty this morning, and very pleasant to lie in a sleeping bag and sip coffee. I worked at camp chores, sweeping out mud and leaves, and weeding my little garden plot. The bugs are eating up my mustard greens. I did hunt the field this afternoon; I was forced to the far end, to take advantage of the East wind. They came out about 4 pm. The old doe had two fawns- one had spots that I could still see, but they were almost faded away. The fawns were old enough to be on their own, but I passed on the “momma- deer”. Maybe she was a bit too far, anyway; and this was near that buck’s scrape. I didn’t notice when the three deer left, but they browsed around the clearing at least two hours. After sundown, another deer slipped up on the downwind side of me and snorted; maybe the buck came to check his scrape; I never would have expected him to get into that downwind position where there was only a steep bluff. I guess he knew his business better than I.

No comments: