Sunday, October 07, 2007

I got soaked!

I got “conscripted” for church Sunday morning, as the preacher was away and much of the congregation had to work for the Prison Rodeo. Sparse attendance was expected; maybe they needed me to make a quorum, or something. They included an interesting speaker in the service… someone from the Gideons, the hotel- bible folks. In additions to hotels, they distribute bibles to prisons and colleges, and have issued them to military personnel since World War I. When I was very young, my Dad gave me his, issued when He joined the Navy and carried through the World War II. That hit home, so they won a contribution from me, too. Anyway, I didn’t hunt Sunday morning, and that allowed me to finish the tombstone transcriptions I’ve been working on for the family cemetery.
After lunch and a quick siesta, I sauntered off for an afternoon hunt. There were some gusty breezes that should cover my movements. A few slight sprinkles should moisten the leaf litter enough to lessen the sounds of my walking. The sky was overcast, but bright, as it had been all day. I tipped along and stopped in several likely places, but nothing was moving. I reached Beech Hollow, my old campsite where the great beech tree stood, and I knelt in a hidden spot to watch the creek, the hollow, and the hillsides. Suddenly, it started raining… no warning, it just rained. I was somewhat sheltered by the trees, so I waited for the shower to end. It just got harder. Well, I got soaked! So I headed back to the cabin to dry out. It rained hard, but for about 20 minutes, only. The creek was muddy when I crossed and water was pouring off the hillsides and down the gullies. It was only a short rain, so the creek will probably be down and passable by morning.

No comments: