Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Whoo-ee, there goes my blood pressure

I had to work on Saturday, but I got away early enough for an evening hunt. I didn’t take care of chores, nor business, nor nothing’; I changed into hunting clothes, grabbed my gear, and headed to the woods. I went to a knoll a short walk from camp. Surrounded on three sides by a bend of Panther Creek, there are sharp slopes down to the creek- bed and several game trails cut through the area. There are usually plenty of browse plants in the understory there, and that big white oak should soon be dropping its huge acorns. About sunset, a small doe crossed Panther Creek and I got a good broadside view of her as she angled up the creek bank. I raised up for a look, and she vanished behind a group of small trees. Just disappeared! I guess she bedded down; maybe she saw my movement. I hope I didn’t strain the lenses of my glasses, trying to look for her. Daylight was flickering and the squirrels were bounding through the trees, on their way home for the evening. A huge owl stopped in a nearby tree, looking around for a supper opportunity, but he was too late; the squirrels had already passed by. As light faded, a big- bodied deer with a dark coat stepped out into the creek and turned upstream. He was cautious, pausing for a long look, taking a few steps, taking a drink, pausing, walking, pausing. To my right, another deer was breaking through the brush and coming toward the creek. This one was obviously a big doe; I got a better look as she followed the first one upstream. I heard the first deer climb the creek bank and start toward me. The doe followed up the bank and she was coming my way, too. They crossed the creek bottom toward me, but the light was gone. It was past legal shooting time, and I could barely see their movement. I sat quiet and still to avoid spooking them… maybe tomorrow I’ll get another chance. The big deer was crunching through the leaf litter, headed up my knoll, probably 20 yards away. As he passed, I could see the dim glow of his antlers. I couldn’t make out points or shape, just a glow floating through the woods above the sound of footfalls, but it was obviously a large, heavy rack. The big doe followed up the same trail and in the dim light, I could see the vague form of her lighter color. After those two had passed, I heard the small doe come through, also. Wow! I’d certainly like a daylight glimpse of that buck. I know he’s a big’un.

No comments: